Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Intervals

It has been cold for the last week or so in Los Angeles.  The last few mornings have seen temperatures in the mid-30s when I wake up, which may not seem like that cold to those of you in other places around the country, but Los Angeles isn't built for this.  To top it off, Mrs. TherapyRunner and I both grew up in Montana, so we haven't turned on the heat in our apartment in the 7 1/2 years that we have been in Los Angeles.  We're used to layering our clothes, so with the two of us, we just manage to stay warm in our apartment under the blankets or with sweatshirts and other clothing.  With Baby TherapyRunner on his in February, we know that we'll have to regulate the temperature a little more at home, but for the time being, our apartment is still pretty cold.

That being said, when the alarm clock went off this morning, I actually felt somewhat rested.  But getting up, having a snack, and getting dressed to go to the track wasn't something that I wanted to do.  I got up anyway. I ate a bowl of cereal. And I sat at the table pondering how I could crawl back into bed. Then Mrs. TherapyRunner got up and my motivation to run got its spark.

My workout for today was at the track, with New Intervals being my goal.  The point of New Intervals is to help your body process Lactic Acid and Hydrogen more efficiently, so that you can build stamina and run at higher intensities for longer periods of time.  It's a near constant changing of gears that pushes you to build your alactic threshold.

The workout:

10 minute aero warm up (which is my run from my apartment to the track, plus a couple of laps around the track)

Then, 4 times:

100m at 5K pace
100m at mile pace
200m at 10K pace
400m at marathon pace

Do this three times total and finish with a 10 minute aero cool down.

I was exhausted at the end and didn't hit many of my marks when switching gears, especially on the third time through.  Glad to be done with the track workout for the week!

What do you do for track workouts?

No comments:

Post a Comment